"I have sold several rentals I managed for owners this year. Hire me to manage your rental today!" - Naomi Burke/Manager: (253) 683-0093
Office phones: (253) 531-1010(253) 531-2000 Fax: (253) 531-5358 Email: managers@bciprop.com
Banner Snack

Main Content

Help to Pay Rent

Rent assistance in Pierce County and Tacoma.

A number of rental and housing assistance programs operate in Tacoma and Pierce County Washington. Thousands of families and individuals receive financial assistance, grants, and access to free eviction prevention programs and advice every year.

Below you will find a comprehensive listing of the agencies, non-profits, churches, and government programs that can help the low income pay their rent in the greater Tacoma area. Get details on various low-income housing assistance programs and phone numbers of where to apply for help or financial assistance. Even if an agency or no-profit can’t meet your housing needs, they can often refer you to another government program. run by either the federal government or the state of Washington, that can help you pay your rent or security deposits.

Pierce County rental assistance

Pierce County DSHS Community Services Offices, which can be called at (877) 501 – 2233 offers numerous financial assistance programs, including one known as Emergency Assistance. This includes TANF/WorkFirst, and it allows low income and working poor clients the ability to apply for supplemental financial and rental assistance when faced with an emergency caused by circumstances out of their control, such as job loss or medical emergency. Funding and cash grants may be approved for eviction notices; security deposit move-in costs for homeless individuals and families electric, gas, heating fuel, water/sewer or telephone utility shutoff notices.

Eatonville Family Agency may have limited cash aid in an emergency. Funding is limited. Money can pay for housing, energy, rent or mortgage assistance. Can only apply for rent help on third Tuesday of every month. Call (360) 832 – 6805

Families Unlimited Network serves the zip codes of 98466 and 98467. They are based in University Place Washington. Phone (253) 460-3134. The non-profit offers rent and utility assistance if the applicant has a disconnect notice or pay or vacate notice.

Community Action Programs – Pierce County Community Services – Provides financial assistance, including housing, to low income Pierce County residents. Phone: 866-223-1359

Harbor/Peninsula FISH Food Bank – The non-profit administers both rental and utility assistance to Key Peninsula and Gig Harbor residents. Phone: 253-858-6179

Metropolitan Development Council, which is located at 721 S. Fawcett, Tacoma, WA 98402, offers low-income housing and rent help for low-income families and individuals. Other assistance may include help with child care for homeless families, loans to pay rent as part of eviction prevention, funds for utility bills, or family counseling. Phone: 253-597-6728

Our Lady Queen of Heaven, which is part of Saint Vincent de Paul, is a charity in the Tacoma Washington area that assists Pierce County residents with rent, utilities, bus tickets, and gas. In addition, the organization provides outreach services and housing counseling to residents living within specified boundaries within the following zip codes: 98387, 98445, and 98580. Phone number: 253-537-5266

Tacoma Assistance Human Rights and Human Services Department are starting to create a Centralized Intake Program for all Housing Related Services. Call (253) 682-3401

Saint Charles Borromeo Parish (253-565-7655)- Provides housing and rent help to low-income residents living within church boundaries.

Helping Hand House administers the homeless prevention program. Based in Puyallup (253) 682-3401. If you have children, then the program can offer limited financial assistance for paying monthly rent or back rent to families with children in Pierce County. You need to have an eviction notice to apply. Helping Hand House is committed ending and preventing family homelessness Pierce County, both over the short and long term.

Pierce County Veterans Bureau (phone number 253-798-7449) can offer various forms of help to low-income and homeless veterans in Pierce County. Find help with rent, utility, and heating bills and food assistance.

Saint Martin of Tours, which is located at 2303 54th Ave E, Fife, Washington (phone (253) 970-9037) runs a multitude of housing and rental programs. Also access landlord and tenant dispute resolution.

Lakewood Area Shelter Association – May offer rental, energy, and food assistance to Lakewood Washington Area residents. Phone number: 253-532-5320 Address is 8956 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW, Lakewood, WA, 98498. Call (253) 682 – 3401.

Homeless Prevention Programs in Pierce County are administered by Solid Ground. Tenants can get information on their rights to evictions under the Washington Landlord/Tenant Act. Also get referrals to rent help to prevent an eviction. Support and advice are also for dealing with landlords on security deposits or repairs to housing units. (206) 694 – 6767.

Legal Services has free legal clinics in Pierce County. The agency makes make referrals to attorneys from their website. The lawyers can assist with eviction, foreclosure, Landlord/Tenant issues, and applying for government benefits. Dial (253) 572 – 5134 for the Housing Justice Project.

Transitional Family Housing of Tacoma Washington can offer case management, guidance, and housing. Phone: (253) 272 – 1532.

Tyler Square Transitional Housing from the Rescue Mission is for homeless and those on the verge of eviction. Case management, education, budgeting and more is for guests. Get help in locating low-income apartments in Pierce County when ready to leave. There may be possible referrals to grants or loans for paying first months rent or a security deposit for those leaving the shelter. 3202 S Tyler St, Tacoma, WA, 98408, (253) 682 – 3401.

Catholic Community Services offers a service known as Phoenix Housing Network, and the non-profit charity provides low to moderate income rental and housing assistance to Tacoma and Pierce County Washington residents. Financial assistance applies to individuals and families, but only the first 8 qualified customers on Wednesday. 7050 S G St Tacoma (253) 471 – 5340

Helping Hand House – If you have an eviction notice, you may get rent help. Call 253-848-6096. Access rental assistance Monday 10:00 am to 10:30 am.

Martin Luther King Jr. Housing Development Agency, phone 253-597-4804, offers eviction prevention services. Need to have 3-day notice of eviction. Get help with paying first month’s rent and deposits.

Tacoma Salvation Army (call 253-627-3980) accepts applications for rental assistance on Monday and Tuesday 8 am to 10 am.

St. Vincent de Paul is also part of the Saint Andrew’s Catholic Church in Tacoma. This church can provide some limited rental, mortgage, or housing assistance for those living within Parish boundaries. Funding is limited as it is from local donations. Also provide referrals to non-profits, charities, and government programs obtain basic needed furniture or other support. Call (253) 863 – 4394

Get information and referrals from the United Way Help Line. Call 253-572-4357. The Pierce County United Way offers referrals to local resources for financial assistance in paying rent and housing expenses.

Associated Ministries – Housing and Shelter Services is a soup to nuts housing agency. They can provide assessment, free advice and legal aid. Also get referrals to Tacoma and Pierce County emergency shelter, transitional, rent programs or affordable housing. Services offered to qualified families include eviction prevention, homelessness prevention, government grants, rapid rehousing, and referral for housing or shelter services. Address is 1224 S I St Tacoma, WA, 98405, and phone number (253) 682 – 3401

Agape House – The charity offers Christian based transitional housing for men, small families, and women. Call 682-1971

Associated Ministries – People facing eviction can call this agency to help find resources to stay in their homes or apartments. In addition, it offers multiple housing assistance programs to help homeless people find shelter.

Guadalupe House – Offers housing and shelter. Call 572-6582

Helping Hand House – Call 848-6096 for housing support and advice. Services help families who are able to work too.